Frequently Asked Questions
- Perform a visual inspection of your shingles at least once annually and after each storm.
- Shingles usually have a twenty- to thirty-year warranty. If shingles are nearing their life expectancy, perform a careful visual inspection; use binoculars if necessary.
- Examine the shingles as well as the flashing. Metal flashing should be underneath the shingles.
- Inspect shingles for cracking, cupping, curling and discolouration.
- Inspect for fungus, moss, and mildew.
- Inspect your gutters and eavestroughs for excessive accumulation of shingle granules.
- Examine the interior of your home, including your attic. If there are signs of water damage, such as staining on the ceiling or paint that is peeling, your roof is likely damaged.
If you notice any of the above signs, call Hawkeye Roofing to for a more complete inspection.
It is always good to take a proactive approach when dealing with your roof. A house is large investment and the best way to protect your investment is to ensure that you have a good roofing system. If you are seeing only a small area of concern, you may be able to simply repair and/or replace the “problem” shingles. However, the wear of your roof is consistent throughout, it is likely a good idea to replace your roof.
The price varies depending on the materials you would like to use, the size of the roof, the time of year, and the complexity of the replacement. Asphalt shingles generally cost less than other materials such as cedar shakes, metal, or slate. It is usually advisable to replace the flashing when replacing your roof.
To determine your annual roofing cost, calculate your total roof cost (materials plus labour) divided by your roof’s life expectancy in years. Your roofing contractor will provide you with an estimate of your total roof cost.
Roofers in Newmarket have different levels of expertise. Insist on a Newmarket roofing contractor who is committed to quality work.
A detailed estimate that includes separate items is a good indication that your roofing contractor is being thorough. Your estimate should include the following items:
- The type of roofing material to be used
- Other materials to be used such as underlayment and membranes
- The removal, clean-up, and disposal costs
- Flashing work to be done; for example, replacing or re-using flashing
- Ventilation work. Will new vents need to be added?
- Length of warranty and what is covered under that warranty
- Approximate starting and completion dates
- Payment procedures
You will want to ask if the installer is insured for both liability and their own workers.
You do not need a building permit for asphalt roof shingling projects.
The life expectancy of your roof should generally fall within the timelines set out by the warranty on the shingles. Factors that can affect your Newmarket area roof life-expectancy are local climactic conditions, material quality, and roof maintenance.